Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Unfinished business

Rewind 26 years, back when I was expecting my first child. I wanted to make a baby quilt and I purchased fabric, batting, and yarn for tying. In those days mothers rarely knew the gender of their baby, so I chose a yellow gingham pattern that would work either way. I cut everything to the proper size and Mike and I tied this little quilt with every intention of using it. However, I was unsure of how to finish off the edges and the quilt was set aside.

I was given several quilts as gifts upon the birth of each of my three daughters. Every now and again I would come across this yellow quilt and feel horribly guilty and rather sad about never having finished it. It was stuffed in a box of sewing things, and a number of months ago I finally made the decision to toss it out. Who would want an unfinished quilt that was now 25 years old and quite dated?

Christmas morning arrived and I had all but forgotten about the mysterious package. When it was handed to me to open, I was still at a complete loss about what it could be. I'm not one to be dainty about the unwrapping process, so I ripped into that paper and made a surprising discovery. There was the yellow gingham quilt, all finished with wonderful little triangle edges. Mike had conspired and Sandy had complied.

We decided to do what had never been done all those years ago. Melissa, the one who was the intended recipient of the quilt so many years ago, sat on my lap and allowed me to wrap it around her and squeeze her tight. Unfinished business was now complete. It was the highlight of Christmas morning.



Sometimes we aren't even conscious of what our wishes are. Often we believe we don't deserve to have our desires met. But every now and then, the universe conspires to bring us what we hope for even if on a sub-conscious level. This was the case with the yellow quilt. I felt gratitude towards my husband for rescuing what I had, because of guilt, cast aside. I appreciated Sandy for taking valuable time during the Christmas season to do what I had believed I could not. And because of their kindness, I got to experience a moment of pure joy!

InJoy,
Cristi

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, what a sweet, sweet story. I believe that as humans we have the need to feel finished. Even though we are never finished as eternal beings, we need to feel finished in many things otherwise we have that sense of undone, incomplete or just not satisfying. How wonderful that your dh and friend helped to bring this ending. I'm sure your firstborn will treasure this even at her age.

Danielle

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home