Sunday, April 15, 2007

What do Boy Scouts have to do with it?

The Troop Committee? Huh? Wait! Aren't I the one with three girls and no boys? If I remember correctly, I had just two sisters and no brothers, and a dad who never went to a Scout meeting in his entire life. How on earth does that translate into me serving on a Scout committee?

Good question! The answer? Just a big smile from those that know. They mumble things under their breath, like, "We need some organizational skills and you're good at that." Okay, I'll admit to that much. I AM good at organization, but organizing Boy Scouts? I'm used to finding clever little places to put dozens of threaded bobbins!

I don't know a square knot from a half-hitch, and I've never been backpacking in my life (yet!) I know that everybody's happy when the rank of Eagle is achieved (but mostly I observe that it's a case of Mom being relieved), and I'm aware that even grown men go to Scout camp for Wood Badge because that's where my husband was for the past few days. What they do there, however, is mysterious. Not intriguing, mind you. Just mysterious.

Would I be willing to be the troop committee secretary? Uh, sure. Even in my really young days I pulled off secretarial duties at the Oregon Department of Justice, Consumer Protection Division (at age 16). And, at the ripe old age of 18 I was a secretary/receptionist for Criminal Investigation at the IRS. So, I suppose now that I'm 40-something, I can likely handle the minutes and publicity of the troop committee. Only now I need to pretend I'm familiar with things like merit badges and courts of honor.

So, it's an adventure. I could fall on the floor and assume the fetal position, moan and cry, or I could look at it as an amazing opportunity to get educated about an important part of my husband's, son in-law's, and eventually grandsons' lives.

I suppose I'll do just that. Please don't ask me to don olive slacks, a khaki shirt, and a baseballish hat, though. I'm all girl and I have every intention of staying that way!

Could someone please pass the chocolate?


InJoy,
Cristi

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home