Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Anticipation of Joy

Melissa called around 9:30 last night saying, "I'm having contractions!" So, I went to bed with my bags packed, knowing the phone might ring at any time and I'd be out the door making the 15 minute drive to her house. It's likely that the midwives will arrive first, because they're pros at this, but I don't want to miss a single moment.

Waiting on the birth of a baby is truly the anticipation of joy. Last night I had all kinds of wild and nonsensical dreams related to baby's arrival, but that's all they were, dreams. I awakened to the morning light and the realization that the phone, carefully placed right next to my bed, had never made a sound.


What is it about waiting for a baby? There's just something about being on the team that is walking around knowing that at any minute everything could change. The Christmas Breakfast planning meeting at my daughter's school may just happen without me. The O'Reilly writing deadline could come and go, the appointments ward members have with their bishop, my husband, might vanish for a bit. Aubrey's homework assignments may not make it back to Ms. Towers on time, and so it goes. Is it today? Will it be tomorrow? What about Saturday? What plans do we have that particular day that may happily vanish into thin air because a fresh new soul chose then to make his arrival?

Thankfully, we don't always have to spend our days in the anticipation of joy. We can choose to experience the emotion frequently throughout each day, even while waiting on an anticipated joyful event. It's all about our belief and our perception.

In his book, Power Vs. Force, David R. Hawkins, M.D., Ph.D., states, "[Inner joy] isn't the sudden joy of a pleasurable turn of events; it's a constant accompaniment to all activities. Joy arises from within each moment of existence, rather than from any other source."

So, really, the anticipation of joy really is joy itself. It feels wonderful to know that this precious unborn child of God is in a safe and secure place, he's already loved, and we're all quite patient about when his change of venue will occur. Do we need to hold him in our arms to feel joy? I think not. Will we dance and shout and sing when he comes? Absolutely! Will it matter that we missed a meeting, a deadline, or even a whole night's sleep? Not even a tiny bit.

I have a line from a song running through my head that Amy once sang with the BYU Concert Choir about there being "joy in the morning." I do like joy in the morning, and I like that I can choose to be in joy even while anticipating joy at any other time of the day or night.

If you'd like additional support for creating more joy in your life, watch this video from Christopher Westra. I know it'll make your day!

InJoy!
Cristi

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, that girl with the baseball bat sure is cute.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Cristi said...

I'll say. We parents sure hold no bias, right?

12:07 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say that Joy in the Morning is one of my favorites. I love, "joy, joy, joy, joy, JOY!!! It thrills me. Thanks for the thoughts.

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home